Let’s see, what would it have to be?
Georgia by 30? Georgia by 40?
That’s the projected point spread that would keep LSU out of the BCS title game as the season draws to an anti-climactic close. LSU virtually clinched a spot in the BCS game last week. It really doesn’t matter if it beats Georgia on Saturday in the SEC Championship Game. Does it?
Actually, it does. The best possible result for everyone in the SEC is Georgia winning. That would all but assure the league an unprecedented three BCS teams. That wouldn’t impact an LSU-Alabama championship game rematch.
Unless Georgia wins by 30.
Or would it be 40?
This week's Power Poll ...
2. Alabama: Second place in SEC West = Second in the country.
3. Oklahoma State: Big, big Georgia fans this week because OSU needs a big, big Bulldog margin of victory over LSU.
4. Stanford: This is the look of a hot BCS at-large: 11-1 with prospective Heisman winner.
5. Arkansas: Did Bobby Petrino have words for Les Miles? “Not many,” says LSU coach.
6. Virginia Tech: Yes, Virginia there is an ACC Championship Game. You’re just not playing in it.
7. Houston: Tulsa had its shot, and failed miserably.
8. Boise State: Chris Petersen signs two new recruits – Slim and None – in hopes of getting to BCS.
9. USC: Neuheisel: UCLA has “closed the gap.” Actually, soon to be working at The Gap.
10. Oregon: The ice on LaMichael James’ elbow looked troubling.
11.Oklahoma: Life in the Big 12: A week after giving up 600 yards to Baylor, Sooners smother Iowa State.
12. Michigan State: Classy: Dantonio didn’t rest players against Northwestern prepping for Big Ten title game. Spartans won 10 for the fourth time in history.
13. Wisconsin: Montee Ball within shouting distance of Barry Sanders’ single-season rushing touchdowns record.
14.Georgia: Richt couldn’t be blamed for going to middle of Georgia Dome and lobbing middle finger to his own fans Saturday.
15. Michigan: Exactly 366 days since Ohio State has beaten Michigan.
16. South Carolina: One of Spurrier’s masterful coaching jobs this season and against Clemson.
17. Kansas State: National coach of the year award awaiting Bill Snyder’s acceptance.
18. Baylor: Texas Tech pays for two cheap shots on RGIII. Rout 66 by Briles vs. Red Raiders.
19. TCU: Getting ready to face UNLV team that just beat North Carolina. Wait, that was basketball.
20. Nebraska: Say Rex Burkhead 38 times. Bo Pelini did. It resulted in 160 yards vs. Iowa.
21. Florida State: Jimbo Fischer has swept Miami and Florida in each of first two seasons.
22. West Virginia: Baby steps for Big East. First produce a ranked champion.
23. Southern Miss: If it isn’t already, Larry Fedora’s phone should be ringing off the hook.
24. Clemson: November goes out like a lamb for Tigers, who lost three of last four.
25. Penn State: Bowl poison?