They weren’t exactly celebrating in Tuscaloosa Saturday night. A win over a lethargic Mississippi State was consoling but it was a side issue.
An LSU-Alabama rematch just became a lot more likely.
Two unbeatens went down (Stanford, Boise State). Alabama is projected to stay solidly at No. 3 in the BCS as the “best” one-loss team in the country. You know what that means: If Oklahoma State cannot, for whatever reason, fulfill its duties as a BCS title game finalist, the Tide will be glad to take over if the Cowboys lose.
This week's Power Poll ...
1. LSU – Tigers 10-0 for the first time since 1958. Quarterback shuffling for the second time in a week.
2. Oklahoma State – If you had Texas Tech and 61 points, you were a big winner. Red Raiders weren’t.
3. Alabama – Trent Richardson stars in The Week After.
4. Oregon – Ducks don’t let Stanford Stadium grass grow between their webbed feet, scorch the Cardinal. Ducks haven’t lost a conference game since 2009.
5. Oklahoma – Loss to Texas Tech looks even worse.
6. Virginia Tech – David Wilson for Heisman?
7. Clemson – Sammy Watkins injured, Tajh Boyd uneven. Tigers still win ACC Atlantic.
8. Stanford – Cardinal are really, really good except when they Oregon. Outscored 105-61 in last two meetings.
9. Arkansas – Armageddon scenario shaping up if Hogs win at LSU.
10. Houston – Look who’s headed to the Sugar Bowl.
11. Boise State – For the second straight season, a crushing November loss with the kicker taking the “starring” role.
12.Nebraska – Huskers competing just fine in the Big Ten. Could win 10 in their first season.
13. Michigan State – Are there any Legends or Leaders left in the Big Ten? Spartans in control of division named after the former following big road win at Iowa.
14. Wisconsin – Russell Wilson back in Heisman race (16 of 17, four touchdowns). Badgers back in Leaders race.
15. South Carolina – Spur Dog cries in the lockerroom. Calls Florida win his sweetest ever. How will that play in Gainesville?
16. Georgia – Dawgs tied for the fourth-longest winning streak in the country.
17. USC – “This has become a big rivalry,” Lane Kiffin says after Washington win. Trojans have also become a resilient team.
18. TCU -- Gary Patterson had more stones than the Broncos had field goals.
19.Penn State – Let the healing begin.
20. Michigan – Where was this against Iowa?
21. Kansas State – In its last four weeks, Wildcats have scored 50 twice and given up 50 twice.
22. Southern Miss – Ole Miss could do worse than hire Eagles’ Larry Fedora.
23. Florida State – The evil Jacory Harris shows up again throwing crippling interception against Noles.
24. Baylor – Bears avoided biggest embarrassment of the day, coming back from 21 down against Kansas.
25. Notre Dame – To be honest, there was no one else to put here. Irish won on a coin flip.